Sunday, January 6, 2008

I've never stopped talking to Jeanne.

I found that acceptance is the key. To accept Alzheimer's and life for what it is. And then try to make the best of it. We're all dealt some pretty sad and sorrowful experiences in life. But I found that putting it all in perspective does help. Does make it possible to cope. There were bad times during the 13 year journey. But I still looked for ways to make life a little more bearable for Jeanne. Because I loved her. Despite the Alzheimer's. I had to find new ways to love. New ways to communicate. I coped much better the last three years than I did the first three years. Maybe because I learned along the way. I learned how to be a better care-giver, a better human being, a better lover. Not least of all, I learned acceptance. Even today I'm learning. It's been almost a year since Jeanne died. But I'm still learning from the experience of having been with wonderful Jeanne for almost 40 years. I feel blessed for having had Jeanne. In so many, many ways I still have Jeanne. Jeanne will always be a part of me. I've never stopped talking to Jeanne. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

(submitted by Sleddogger - edited)

Good morning, I miss her too.
As a matter of fact I miss the both of you very much. I'm so glad to see you are still stirring the
pot making people think. Thank you
for the impact you {the broede's}
have had on my life.From way way out in the woods,peace and love
from Jack and his beloved old dog.

Broede's Broodings said...

Nice to hear from you, Jack. Hope to see you one of these days soon. --Jim