Saturday, March 1, 2008

I want to be with the gods.

I'm getting a feeling of what it must be like to be metamorphosized. Like a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. That sensation comes when I am in a roomful of people. And suddenly I realize I'm the oldest person in the room. At 72, and counting. It's a strange feeling. Like I've evolved into something I've never been before. Maybe I am a butterfly that has turned into a caterpillar. Of course, I would prefer a transformation from caterpillar to butterfly. A butterfly seems nicer than a caterpillar. Though I don't want to disparage furry caterpillars. Maybe one of the pluses of aging is the opportunity to evolve into a totally differnt being. I wonder, if I am allowed to live to 88, or some other ripe old age, if I'll have this feeling of being quite different than I was at 72. I suppose that I hope that after death I enter a new dimension, one that's hard to comprehend now. But a realm that has me evolving to still quite a different persona than the persona I know now. Maybe a persona quite different than the persona I was as a kindergartner in Chicago in 1940. Actually, it takes imagination to recall what I was at 5. I really don't have much grasp of it. I didn't have much cognitive awareness then. If I live long enough, maybe I will recognize that I was blind to a whole lot of things, even at 72. And with time, I will have opened my eyes and my mind to a new reality. I want to reach new plateaus. Reach beyond the horizon. Some day, I want to live on top of Olympus. With the ancient gods. No, I don't have to be a god. But I want to be with the gods. --Jim Broede

No comments: