Saturday, March 1, 2008

That makes me sound ancient.

At yesterday's ball game, I sat next to two guys that had just flown in from San Francisco for the game. Longtime Cubs fans. They recalled happy times with the Cubs in 1984, when the Cubs got into the play-offs. And then I impressed them with my memories of the Cubs, all the way back to 1945, the last time they were in the World Series. I was a 10-year-old kid. And I remember listening to the World Series on radio. There was no TV then. And I reminisced about going to 40 Cubs games in a summer. When I was a teen-ager. And I paid 60 cents to sit in the bleachers. Arriving hours before the game. To watch batting practice. And now here I am, taking spring training with the Chicago Cubs. Telling folks I'm old enough to remember the last time the Cubs made it to the World Series. That makes me sound ancient. --Jim Broede

No comments: