Saturday, May 31, 2008

What would Jesus do?

I see that Barack Obama has quit his church. Apparenrtly, because the preachers are a bit too controversial. That's probably a wise move. But my guess is that Obama will remain a Christian. I'd encourage him to become a free-thinker. That's what I did. I used to be a Christian. I was even a member of the board of deacons. In a church of the same denomination as Obama. Maybe I was even more controversial than the minister. Though I have to admit that he was way out, too. Turns out that Christianity isn't liberal enough for me. And besides, I don't want to be told what to think about religion. I'm what some might call a freelance monotheist. That means I believe in god. But I define god -- the way I want to define god. And I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to religion. I like that fellow Jesus. I'd like to sit down with him some day. Maybe over a beer. And almost every day now, I kind of talk to him. And I ask him, what would he do? And he tells me that he's really a free-thinker. And that many Christians have a rather distorted conception of his message. --Jim Broede

No comments: