Sunday, June 1, 2008

Makes me chuckle.

Preachers are preachers. When they get up on the pulpit, they often spout a different language, of sorts. By that, I mean they take issue with the status quo. They tell us to shape up. They dare go to the edge, or over the edge. I think that's fine. Does no harm, really. Let them spout. It's no skin off my back. Anyway, I tend to like way-out views. If anybody had way-out opinions, it's Jesus himself. And how many of us would do what Jesus would do? Not many. Oh, we'll spout the platitudes. And the beatitudes. We'll say that Jesus would do such and such. But we'd seldom, if ever, live a Christ-like life. Just too darn difficult. But still, I hear some Christians saying that Jesus' way is the only way. And that all they have to do is proclaim faith in Jesus and they'll automatically be saved. Makes me chuckle. --Jim Broede

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Jim, Jesus wanted us to "do as I say, not as I do". We are not capable of living life as Christ did.

Broede's Broodings said...

Jesus was a lover. We can be lovers, too. And, oh, so many ways to love. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

I guess I should have been more explicit. We are not capable of living our lives exactly as Christ did. Certainly, as human beings with souls, we are capable of loving, but, I don't see the recent preaching as loving. Just the opposite.

It seems to be the current fad to spout hatred, slander, etc,. as long as you turn around and issue a public apology.

Broede's Broodings said...

I think much of the preaching was filled with satirical humor. Especially the preaching by the Catholic priest. So very, very funny. No hatred. He got the congregation to laugh uproarishly. I liked that. I think it's all right to laugh at Hillary Clinton. And it's best, too, that she learn to laugh at herself. Sometimes, she's very funny without knowing it. That makes her even more funny. I think a SNL skit is good, even from the pulpit. It's a good way to get a message across. In a funny way. That ain't hate. It's humor. As for Rev. Wright, I also see much humor in what he has to say. It's not hate. It's funny that some folks perceive it as hate. I'm chuckling over all this furor. There comes a point where people have to learn to laugh rather than cry. Learn to love rather than hate. Humor puts us on the path to love. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

I know, you have always enjoyed laughing at others' expense. I find that people who do that are generally insecure and unhappy with themselves. Of course YOU would see nothing insensitive about the remarks, or about the inappropriateness of it coming from the church. A SNL skit would be fine, depending on the message you are trying to relate. Even these "preachers" have recanted, and apologized.

I also know how much you profess to be happy, happy, happy, but the impression I get is that you have an unnatural obsession to announce it, as if you are actually feeling the exact opposite.