Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Because the Cubs won today.

Looked like my Chicago Cubs were going to lose this afternoon. Trailing 6-2. With two outs in the bottom of the 9th inning and nobody on base. Then a double. A single. Another single. Then a home run. And the game was tied. Extra innings. The Cubs won in the 12th, 7-6. Wow! Euphoria. The Cubs are only one win away from clinching the National League's Central Division championship and a place in the play-offs. With a chance to advance to the World Series.

Yes, it'd be nice if the Cubs went all the way. For the first time in 100 years.

But I won't be greedy. I'm just happy that the Cubs have had a good season. With thrilling games. Like today's. Makes me feel good. Satisfied. And I'm thanking the baseball gods. Telling them even if they don't deliver the Cubs to the World Series, I'll accept that. Gratefully. Because the Cubs have accomplished a lot. And they made me happy so many, many times during the course of the baseball season.

Yes, I don't necessarily need to be blessed with everything. Everything that my heart could desire. I've been blessed with enough. Yes, 73 years of life, and counting. Good health, too. Oh, I'm not monetarily rich. Not even close to being a millionaire. But I'm not poor and destitute either. I have a comforable life. A home on the lake. A little money in the bank. A pension. Social security. Enough to get by reasonably well.

I had a good marriage, too. For 36 years. Until Jeanne died almost two years ago of Alzheimer's. But, oh, I still have precious memories. And I've been able to get on with life. Falling in love again. And living one day at a time. Really, savoring life. I don't worry about tomorrow. I'm busy living today. In love. And feeling elated. Because the Cubs won today. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

skericheri said...

Jim---I'm in love (with Charlie). I worry about the future...but am at least spending less time doing it. Universal health insurance or at least a tax credit for money spent paying for my health insurance would help me in this area.

Life in my corner of NC is usually uneventful. There is not a whole lot for me to feel elated over.

Last year your enthusiasm over the Cubs rekindled my interest in baseball. I'll be pleased if the Cubs advance to the World Series...and...very happy for you if they win.

If Obama wins the presidential election, I will be both elated and hopeful.