Friday, September 5, 2008

I don't cry any more. I just laugh.

The game of baseball, and especially the Chicago Cubs, fascinates me. For almost all of my life. I'm 72. And I remember listening to the Cubs play in a World Series. In 1945. When I was 10. Yes, the last time the Cubs were in a World Series. And they lost in 7 games to Detroit. The last time the Cubs won a World Series was in 1908. The Cubs have had a good season so far, despite a current 6-game losing streak. They still lead the National League Central Division by 4 games, with 21 left to play. Yes, the Cubs could still blow it. Because they are playing their worst baseball of the season now. And Lord knows, they've been known to fold before. They have a reputation as loveable losers. So, I'm used to pulling for a team of losers. But still, I find it fascinating. Just before the Cubs went on this losing streak, they had won 7 straight. Had the best record in baseball. Yes, maybe the best team. Yet, they could fade out of the picture, and not even make the playoffs at the end of the month. Unlikely. But still quite possible. If it happens, that will go down in Cubs lore. As another example of what may be the most ill-fated team in baseball. I used to get upset when the Cubs let their fans down. After high hopes. But I don't any more. I'm used to this sort of stuff. It happens. Time and again. And that is what fascinates me. How something always happens to dash the hopes of Chicago Cubs fans. I don't cry any more. I just laugh. --Jim Broede

No comments: