Saturday, October 4, 2008

A reminder: I'm in love.

It's the 5th inning. The middle of the game. And the Cubs are losing 2-0. They've had scoring opportunities. But haven't cashed in. They can't get a clutch hit. A hit that drives in runs when they really need it. If they lose tonight, it's all over. We'll have to wait until next season. So, with what time is left, I'm gonna try to psych the Cubs to victory. To see if I can influence the baseball gods. Let's see what happens. I'm trying to create an aura. Good vibes, one might say. I've had bad feelings about the play-offs right from the beginning. Didn't feel optimistic. But hey, what if I try to think positively? Thinking. Thinking. Thinking. That maybe...no, not maybe...but rather that the Cubs WILL turn the tide. And gather momentum. And get into a winning groove. Because I'm gonna will it. Now and then, I'll go to the scoreboard and the play by play. To determine if the momentum is changing. Maybe this is something I can't influence. I can't control. Unless, of course, life is merely a dream. In which case, outcomes can be altered. I just have to will it. It's like my love relationship. I've willed it, so to speak. I believed it. Right from the beginning. I'm in love with someone. But with the Cubs I've had doubts. Because I think, I guess, that their fate is beyond my control. But with this love relationship, I have some degree of control. Especially, if I believe. All right. Now I am going to try to start to believe in the Cubs winning this game. I'm willing it. Maybe this will put my theory to a test. And maybe it's not going to be enough. Because maybe I don't believe strongly enough. It's like one can't walk on water unless one really believes one can do it. Beyond an iota of doubt. Well, it's not working. Just went to the scoreboard and play by play. And now the Cubs are losing 3-0, and Los Angeles has still another scoring threat going. I think the Cubs have lost faith. And maybe that's what I am doing, too. Neither one of us have adequate faith. The team or me. But that doesn't stop me from dreaming. That some how, some way, the Cubs will find a way to win. Because I am playing god. And I am trying to send the proper vibes to the players. To get so pissed that they say enough is enough. And they fight back. They become determined. As if it's almost a life and death situation. They have to win. And they must keep saying, 'I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.' Like in that little childhood story my mother would read to me titled, 'The Little Engine that Could.' Maybe tonight it's not enough for just me to believe. The players have to, too. Anyway, only 4 innings to go. And the Cubs haven't even scored a run yet. Not a good sign. But still, it isn't over until it's over.

It's now the bottom of the 6th inning. And the Cubs are still losing 3-0. So only 3 innings left to make a comeback. I want the comeback. I want the victory. But maybe I don't want it hard enough. I don't believe in the Cubs nearly as much as I believe in love. I guess I have my priorities. I can't have everything. If I have to choose, I'll choose love. But if I'm god, I want it all. I want everything. Only thing is, god ain't gonna allow that. God is telling me don't be a selfish ingrate.

The Cubs get 2 runners on in the 7th, and the tying run is at the plate. A fly to deep center. But it's caught. So much for that. Only 2 innings left, and we haven't scored a run yet. Looks bad. But we gotta have faith. We gotta believe. We're gonna pull this out yet. The baseball gods are gonna take us all the way to the World Series. In dramatic fashion. That's what I want. That's what I gotta believe.

Well, the Cubs get a run in the 8th inning, to cut the Los Angeles lead to 3-1. But the Cubs leave a runner stranded. And so it'll come down to the 9th inning. Do or die. Now's the time to believe. Time to turn the tide in this whole series. Here and now.

It's over. The Cubs go down in order in the 9th inning. There's joy in Los Angeles. And sadness in Chicago. Yes, the Cubs will have to wait another year. But still, I'm happy. It was a good season. In that the Cubs won more games than any team in the National League. They played good baseball. Except in the playoffs. Getting swept by Los Angeles. Anyway, I remind myself that I am in love. With life. With someone. Can't really ask for more than that. --Jim Broede

No comments: