Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Like I'm doing now.

When I got up this morning, I didn't feel right mentally. By that, I mean I didn't feel confident. Didn't quite feel that all was right with the world. That maybe I wasn't in a groove. Yes, kind of a strange feeling. At least, for me. Maybe it was that I thought my days were getting too much alike. Like today being the same as yesterday and the day before yesterday. Like maybe I lived this day before. Could be, I suppose. I pretty much go through the same routines. Have the same breakfast. Make the bed. Go to my computer. To check my email. And to write. I wondered if I should change my routine. Do something different for a change. Maybe not make the bed. Maybe go out for breakfast. Maybe tackle a project that I've been putting off. I started thinking, too, that maybe I have life too easy. That I don't have a whole lot of responsibility. I'm retired. So I don't have to go to work. And so I wondered if I should get a job. Go back to work. Even if it's only part-time. Maybe I was feeling guilty. For having it too easy. Of course, at other times, that doesn't bother me. Because I've taken the attitude that at age 73 I have the right to goof off. To relax. To move about in slow motion. To be a bit lazy. After all, I've paid my dues. Now I find ways to indulge myself. Take my time. Read a book. Or the newspaper. Go for a leisurely walk. Write a love letter. Or just reflect on my life. Like I'm doing now. --Jim Broede

No comments: