Sunday, November 2, 2008

Out of necessity.

I'm thinking. And writing. And maybe that's what keeps me going. The two activities go hand in hand. I have to think. Often. Just ponder. And then I have to record it. In writing. To make my thoughts real. Otherwise, the thoughts are elusive. They disappear. Because they are replaced by other thoughts. I have so many thoughts. It's difficult keeping track of 'em all. Unless I write. I like to write. Gives me great satisfaction. Makes me feel alive. I like to think, too. But the thinking doesn't seem complete if I don't record it. In writing. It's as if I'm carrying on a conversation. With myself. Or with another aspect of myself. Maybe writing makes me two people. I'm addressing an inner self. But when I write to others, I am venturing out. And bringing them into my life. Sharing. They become more real when I write to them. Or when I talk to them. Or see them on the video screen. Or in the flesh. But the initial contact often is in writing. In the written word. That is how my relationships are nurtured. Made solid. Mostly with the written word. That is how I communicate. Even if I lived with someone, I suspect that I would write to them. Out of necessity. --Jim Broede

No comments: