Monday, December 8, 2008

...an opportunity to learn.

I don't want to give the impression that I only talk to the dead. (See thread below this one.) I talk a whole lot. Incessantly, some acquaintances would tell you. That's why when I was growing up my nickname at home was the Czech words for "Big Mouth.' I talked and talked and talked. And had opinions about virtually everything. The moment I emerged from the womb, I was talking. I was born to talk. And to write. I talk to the animals. And to Mother Nature. And to inanimate objects, such as rocks. I talk to god. And the spirits. Even to the snowflakes. I'm talking now to readers of this blog. Doesn't matter who. Oh, I also listen. Because that's how I learn. Yes, I think conversation is good. A mutual exchange of opinions. Sometimes, I change my mind. When I hear a convincing argument. But one thing, I try never to foist my views on others. There's no requirement that anyone has to think like me. I only reserve the right to express my opinion. Free speech, so to speak. Oh, I love ideas. I love the classroom. Love going to school. Auditing courses at a university and a seminary. And my favorite courses are the ones in which there's free-wheeling discussion. I've discovered that sometimes I'm wrong. And sometimes I'm right. Doesn't matter if I make mistakes. Because that offers an opportunity to learn. --Jim Broede

No comments: