Saturday, December 6, 2008

To stay warm, keep moving.

I highly recommend daily workouts outdoors during a Minnesota winter. Much better -- and healthier -- than indoors. Years ago I used to workout indoors at the YMCA. And I'd catch so many, many colds. But when I decided to take to the outdoors instead, the colds were few and far between. Maybe one or two all winter. And I think there was one winter without a cold. The air is clean and brisk. And the colder it gets, the cleaner the air gets. Twenty below zero is a treat. Of course, I wear a ski mask and several thin layers of clothes. And on the coldest days, it's best to run/jog/walk during the daytime, especially on a sunny day. I don't let the snow stop me either. It slows me. But then I go longer distances. The secret to staying warm is keep moving. Don't stop. --Jim Broede

No comments: