Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Baseball at a leisurely pace.

The sun is nice. But I prefer the shade. Especially in Arizona. When it's hot. Darn hot. Like today. I went to a new ballpark for the first time. At the Los Angeles Dodgers spring training site in a Phoenix suburb. It was a sellout. But I bought a ticket from a scalper. For a seat on the lawn just beyond the outfield fence. In the glaring sun. But I didn't go there. Intead, I stood in the shade. At the rear of the tiered stands behind home plate and up and down the first base and third base lines. Very nice to watch a game while standing on my feet. Rather than sitting on my ass. It was pleasant. And I moved about. Watching the game from so many different vantage points. And after the game, I finally sat down. And watched the crowd disperse. I was one of the last to leave the stadium. Gave me time to read a book. And the New York Times. Then I sauntered about a half-mile to my car. And drove away. After the traffic had thinned out. Yes, I've learned to watch baseball at a leisurely pace. And what's more, the Chicago Cubs beat the Dodgers, 12-3. All is well. --Jim Broede

No comments: