Friday, March 6, 2009

...a dumbed-down electorate.

I don't pay much attention to local politics any more. Don't know if that's good or bad. I used to be quite knoweldgeable on political issues in my local community. Because that was the way I made my living. Writing about local politics, among other things. I had to be informed. It was the responsible thing. But now I'm retired. So when I went to the polls last time, I didn't vote for city council or school board. Because I wasn't informed. And I suspect that goes for many people, who still vote, albeit they aren't informed. They just vote because they are told it's a civic responsibility. Even if not acquainted with the candidates or the issues. That's a problem in our so-called democracy. People vote. But without any idea of what they are voting for. Yes, to a significant extent, we have a dumbed-down electorate. --Jim Broede

No comments: