Saturday, March 28, 2009

In a sense, everything is good.

Bad things happen with a purpose. With some degree of good purpose. I think that is what the Creator is telling me. Somebody benefits from what may seem like a bad thing to we mortal human beings. For instance, if my Chicago Cubs lose a critical game, that’s a bad thing from my perspective. But for fans of the team that wins, it's a good thing. Maybe even a joyous thing. Meanwhile, I’m sad. Maybe downright glum. From this perspective, nothing is totally bad or totally good. Let’s say someone dies. Tragically. That’s bad for the deceased and his loved ones. But in the long run, over a period of time, that death may set off a sequence of relatively happy occurrences. Like my father’s suicide some 60 years ago. Some of these positive events wouldn’t have happened if my father had lived a long life and died of natural causes. I’ve also made the case that I wouldn’t have been born if my maternal grandparents hadn’t died young. That set off a chain of events that brought my mother and father together into marriage. Those deaths benefited me. Not my grandparents. I was given life. They were given death. When one thinks of life and death in these terms it helps me understand the motives of the grand Creator. In a sense, everything is good. In one way or another. –Jim Broede

No comments: