Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The primary groundcover in Eden.

Pachysandra. Oh, I love it. My favorite groundcover. I have huge waves of the ankle-deep evergreen plant in my yard. It keeps spreading. I'd rather have pachysandra than grass. And it's the memory of my mother and step-father. They had patches of pachysandra in their yard in southeast Wisconsin. And when I'd visit, I'd bring back snippets of the plant. And started growing it. Maybe 30 years ago. And now it's all over. So beautiful. And it dominates. Even overpowers Creeping Charlie, another groundcover usually despised by gardeners. Although, I like it. Not as well as pachysandra. Which thrives best in shady areas. And under bushes. In recent days, I've been tending to my pachysandra. I'm encouraging it to spread. To roam. Wherever it wants to. Yes, I'm captivated. I suspect that pachysandra was the primary groundcover in the Garden of Eden. In Paradise. --Jim Broede

No comments: