Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I'm no secessionist.

Maybe I’m more pro-American than many of the conservatives on the far right. The ones proposing that their states secede from the U.S. Think of that. There’s such a movement in Texas. Even the Republican governor suggested it be considered. Now that sounds un-American to me. I guess these would-be secessionists don’t like the direction our country is headed. Of course, they could go live in another country. But they want their own. Imagine that. The sovereign nation of Texas. I suppose they’ll want their own language, too. English spoken with a drawl. Anyway, I’ve been critical of America on occasion. For instance, I’ve complained about our society’s long-time racists tendencies. Come to think of it, some of these secessionists sound like racists. Listen to ‘em. They decry the conduct of our good president Barack Obama. Maybe it’s because he’s black. And they don’t want to live in a nation that elects a black as its leader. Maybe they’d rather have a Texan, such as George Bush. But I’ll take Obama. His election made me feel more American. Pro-American, that is. I’m more supportive of our government, particularly of our duly-elected president, than I have been in a long, long time. I’m no secessionist. –Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

I'd be willing to pay higher taxes if Texas left the union. Maybe we could raise enough money to actually pay Texas to leave. I'd pay an extra $100 a year. But it's negotiable. I probably could be persuaded to pay considerably more because I want a better America. --Jim