Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Over which I have no control.

Think of it. How, as individuals, we have so little control over things that happen in the world. They'd happen whether you and I were around or not. History wouldn't change. John F. Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, Martin Luther King -- they all would have been assasinated. World War II would have occurred. I wouldn't have made a difference on any big events. Which is all right. My sphere of influence is very limited. As it is with most of us, I suppose. Other than on a handful of people around us. We just fit into an existing world. And accept what happens. Except how we deal with our immediate life. I make choices. Albeit, maybe I don't. Maybe I'm compelled by some force to do what I do. Anyway, a friend the other day tried to encourage me to write a letter to my congressman in support of a health care reform bill. And I said no. It'd be a waste of my time. Such a letter wouldn't have any effect whatever on whether or not the bill is passed. What will happen will happen with or without a letter from me. Sometimes, I just go along with the tide. Because I am a mere grain of sand on a huge beach. And I'm unable to affect the tide. When it sweeps over me, it sweeps. No way can I do anything about it. But I have the opportunity to cavort with the grains of sand immediately around me. I can even fall in love with another grain. And live a happy life. In my little niche. Despite being a mere speck in the vast cosmos. Over which I have no control. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

I'd rather be a speck, preferably a conscious speck, than nothing. Because then I can imagine being almost anything. --Jim