Sunday, October 4, 2009

Enough already! Let's go in peace.

I'm not sure I know why we are in Afghanistan. Waging some kind of war, I guess. But why? Maybe I'm too stupid to understand. I'm told it has something to do with the terrorist threat. That this region is a haven for terrorists. But I assume that if we stifle would-be terrorists in and around Afghanistan, they'll just go elsewhere. Maybe to Somalia. Or Lord knows where. Then we can start a new war. It's the American tradition. To always be at war. Maybe war is good for the economy. World War II, after all, was a shot in the arm that finally got us out of the Great Depression. We all rallied together. Made sacrifices. Put everybody to work. Making munitions. And scientific discoveries. Like the atomic bomb. Yes, real weapons of mass destruction. We need war to give us a nudge. To get us off our fat asses. Except, it's becoming more difficult to put our hearts into wars nowadays. Support for the war in Afghanistan is on the wane. Yes, some of us, the likes of me, don't understand. I surmise, for instance, that there must be better ways to fight terrorists. Such as sitting down and talking to 'em. To open a dialogue. To see if we can settle our differences. And live peaceably with each other. Granted, that may be difficult. Even Republicans and Democrats can't live peaceably together. We even have lunatics on the fringe of the Republican Party calling for a coup d'etat to oust Obama from the presidency. And by the way, there's strong evidence that the recent election in Afghanistan was rigged. That the government that we're trying to defend there is as corrupt as hell. Little wonder that the Taliban and terrorists are making inroads. Little wonder that I question our presence in Afghanistan. Little wonder that I'm inclined to say: Enough already! Let's go in peace. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

Not every nation finds it necessary to wage war. Take Norway, for instance. When's the last time Norway was at war? And I have the impression that life is pretty good in Norway. Also, it seems to me that Tahiti tends to mind its own business. I like its foreign policy. Even survives without an army. --Jim