Thursday, October 8, 2009

The grandeur of life. Not knowing.

Yes, it's possible for me to be one thing one week, and something else the next. Because in many respects, I'm in a state of flux. I'm changing. I'm evolving. Some of you find that strange. I don't. In other words, if last week I pondered that I've avoided becoming a Minnesota Twins baseball fan for 44 years, it's probably an indication that I'm thinking about it. Finally. Jumping on the bandwagon. So it should come as no surprise that a week later, I'm starting to have a soft spot in my heart for the Twins. Certainly not as avid a spot as I have for the Chicago Cubs. But I've decided I can pull for both teams because they are in different leagues. Perchance they play each other, though, my allegiance would still be with the Cubs. Makes sense, doesn't it? Martin Buber, the religious philosopher, tells me that some of us are philosophical liberals and others philosophical conservatives. He suggests that liberals are in constant motion. Never knowing exactly where they are in their journey through life. They are growing. Expanding. Much like the universe, I suppose. And liberals are comfortable with that. I certainly am. Ask what I am and where I am today, and it may well be at a different location and position from yesterday or tomorrow. Nothing wrong with that. Meanwhile, the conservative tends to want to know exactly where he is. He prefers a static existence. He wants to be the same today and yesterday and tomorrow. In a sense, he abhors change. Change makes him feel uneasy. See, I'm able to live one day at a time. To savor the moment. And each moment is quite different. And I allow myself to be affected by it all. Yes, I allow myself to change. Because change is good. When I was 19, I was a political conservative. I actually voiced support for Sen. Joseph McCarthy. Incredible. Yes, I was incredibly stupid. Now I've wised up. I'm an unabashed liberal. And my gawd, I've even become a Twins fan, of sorts, after almost a half century in the wilderness. Where will I end up next? Heck, I don't know. But that's the grandeur of life. Not knowing. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

I can't even imagine how much I don't know. I'll never know how much. Even in my wildest imagination. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

But I do know that I know I'm in love. That's one solid piece of knowledge. Maybe the most important. Or at least the most satisfying. --Jim