Friday, December 4, 2009

To do my civic duty.

When I stayed in little villages in the Italian Alps, I liked it that businesses closed early. Didn’t stay open all night. Rolled up the sidewalks, so to speak, at 8 or 9 in the evening. Even in the big cities, businesses often closed for a few hours in the middle of the day. Living slowed to a leisurely pace. How refreshing, I thought. I live in a relatively small town in America (population 15,000) and we have supermarkets and discount stores and restaurants that stay open round-the-clock. I suppose I should marvel at and appreciate the convenience. The ability to shop and to eat out at any time. Albeit, I could settle for less hustle and bustle. Limited business hours. But when I mentioned this recently, some of you suggested I embrace the conveniences of modern living. Including the ability/privilege/inherent right to shop 24 hours a day. Even on so-called sacred holidays. I suggested that businesses don’t necessarily stay open forever for our convenience, but rather to make money. If it wasn’t profitable, they’d more likely limit their hours. Or am I wrong about that? We’ve really commercialized life. The idea is to shop. To make shopping very, very convenient. Maybe even an exhaustive experience. Because it's good for the economy. Wouldn’t surprise me if some day they set off the sirens in my town every hour. Not to warn of an approaching tornado. But just as a reminder to get out and shop. To do my civic duty. –Jim Broede

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a win/win, isn't it? They get money, and we get products. If it cost a business to stay open later, of course they wouldn't do it!

If we still had cows in the yard for milk, I might not have to run out "after hours"-just go milk ole Bessie. I just don't have a cow right now.

A lot of businesses have workers on three shifts. Why shouldn't those workers have the priviledge of shopping when they need to? By shopping, I don't necessarily mean pleasure shopping, but shopping for necessities. Why shouldn't they have the priviledge of eating dinner/breakfast out in the middle of MY night, since that may be THEIR afternoon/morning?

What are "sacred" holidays to you? You claim to not believe in Jesus as a divinity, so on what holiday would shopping bother you?

I believe in your "perfect" town, you WOULD have sirens go off-to let the masses know it was now time for "allowed" shopping.

Silly you. Of course shopping helps the economy! Where have you been?

Broede's Broodings said...

I'm gonna get a cow. To milk daily. So I have fresh milk. But I ain't gonna name her Bessie. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Halloween and May Day and Bastille Day are my sacred holidays. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Karl Marx's birthday. That's a sacred holiday, too. --Jim