Thursday, January 14, 2010

I don't get ahead of myself.

I wonder. When does one become old? When I was a youngster, I thought of 74 as old. Very old. Now that I'm 74, I'm not sure. A few years ago, I was taking a course at the local seminary. And I looked around the room. And the thought occurred to me that I was the oldest person in the room. "My gawd," I mused to myself, "nobody here is older than me." That was a startling revelation. And my granddaughter calls me grandpa. And by golly, she's got a son. That makes me a great grandpa. That's old. Not as old as a great great grandpa. Anyway, I don't know if age makes me feel great or not. I really don't think about it that much. In my younger days. I dreaded becoming old. But on reflection, it beats the alternative. I know that a fair number of people reach their 80s. And a few enter their 90s. And very, very few eclipse 100. So time is running out. But I don't worry much about it, I guess. Because I've learned to live one day at a time. I've today. And that's what counts. I don't get ahead of myself. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

If I'm to believe the Bible, Methuselah lived for 969 years. Apparently he had a very good health care plan. And probably exercised daily. And watched his weight. Did all the right things. And was blessed with the right genes. --Jim