Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A comedian's saving grace.

I accept people pretty much as they are. I’m not gonna change ‘em. That I know. So I have to more or less live and let live. Of course, that doesn’t stop me from arguing. Or disagreeing. But not for the purpose of changing anyone. Rather, I just like to argue and disagree. It’s a nice pastime. And often it’s enlightening. And in the process, I might even change my opinion. Yes, I’m willing to learn. But I don’t require others to learn. So maybe I wouldn’t make a good classroom teacher. It’s up to the student to decide whether he/she wants to learn. I’d allow a student to remain stupid – if that’s his/her choice. Same goes for Republicans and racists and idiots in general. It’s not my responsibility to make anyone see the light. Oh, I might poke fun at ‘em. For the sake of a good laugh. In some respects, that’s what I’m doing. Laughing my way through life. I tend to like comedians. They are in a noble profession. Many comedians have had sad lives. But ultimately, they learned to laugh. That often proved to be their saving grace. –Jim Broede

No comments: