Thursday, May 20, 2010

A gawd awful delivery system.

I subscribe to the New York Times. The printed version. And occasionally, the delivery is missed. Maybe 6 or 7 times a year. Which isn't so bad. It could be worse. I have a number I call. To report a missed delivery. And each time, I'm assured that I'll receive a replacement copy the next day. But it never happens. I tell the voice at the other end, don't give me assurances that I'll receive the copy the next day, or any day, for that matter. But still, the voice persists. There's no reason you shouldn't get the paper, albeit a day or two late. I say that's fine. Because I prefer the printed copy. Rather than the cyperspace copy. Because I take the Times with me when I go to a restaurant or out for a walk or go to bed. Anyway, I didn't get Wednesday's paper. So I called. Lodged my usual complaint. And got the usual assurance. Still, no paper. So I called again today (Thursday). Told 'em the same story again. Got the assurance that the paper will be here by Friday. And I'm sure that on Friday, it'll be the same song and dance. So, I'll call again and again and again. Just for the heck of it. To see how long this lasts. No, I'm not doing it out of frustration. It's more a case of curiosity. Just to see if the New York Times ever gets its delivery correct. To tell the truth, I have great faith in the truth of the Times' news reports. But it's delivery system is gawd awful. --Jim Broede

No comments: