Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I get it right. Occasionally.

I like baseball in large part because players are allowed to fail. In fact, most of the time. Think about it. The best hitters in baseball tout batting averges of .300. Which means they get hits about three times in every 10 tries. They fail seven times. The regular major league season lasts for 162 games. That's a long haul. And even the best teams generally lose 60 or 70 games. It ain't always perfect. And fielders make errors. They bobble ground balls. Drop flyballs. Make errant throws. And pitchers give up homeruns and bunches of runs. A no-hitter or perfect pitched game is very rare. Maybe once or twice in a season. Anyway, I feel comfortable with the game of baseball. Because it's much like my own life. I screw up about 7 out of 10 times. But just think. I get it right. Occasionally. --Jim Broede

No comments: