Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Poor me. I'm addicted. For life.

My Chicago Cubs are putting me to a test again this season. Playing lousy baseball. Maybe I should accept the fact that there are some lousy players on the team. But that's hard to accept. After all, this is supposed to be the major league level. Everybody is supposed to be reasonably good. But put it this way. Some are not good enough. And the Cubs seem to have ample numbers of 'em. Especially when it comes to relief pitching. And clutch hitting. And fielding. I'm thinking it's time for a rebuilding program. An overhaul. Let's get rid of some of the veteran players. And atart anew. With young players that gradually learn to play together. And maybe mesh several years down the line. In about 2014 or 2015. Heck, totally new franchises have emerged in recent years. And they've outperformed the Cubs. Merely by starting from scratch. Take the Tampa Bay Rays, for instance. And the Colorado Rockies. And the Toronto Blue Jays. And teams with much smaller payrolls than the Cubs have won world championships. Such as the Minnesota Twins. They've done it twice in the past 20 years. The Cubs, meanwhile, haven't been in a World Series since 1945. And they haven't won it all since 1908. Makes one wonder if the Cubs management doesn't know how to run a baseball team. For a fan, it gets downright discouraging. And I threaten to go in and get treatment to my longtime Cubs addiction. But it'll never happen. Poor me. I'm addicted. For life. --Jim Broede

No comments: