Thursday, September 23, 2010

Doing the right thing.

Care-giver breaks are so very important. When I was a 24/7 care-giver, I was much more likely to occasionally lose it. Because I was physically exhausted and emotionally drained. When I became an 8 to 10 hour a day care-giver, supplementing Jeanne's care daily at the nursing home, I never lost it. Not even once. And that was over a 38-month period. I went home every night at 10, and didn't return until late morning the next day. I had time to recuperate. To recharge my batteries. I learned to exude good vibes. All of the time. Not just parttime. One can't do it all. One needs help. One needs to take care of one's self. Otherwise, you won't be the care-giver that your patient desperately needs. That's not being selfish. It's being sensible. It's doing the right thing. --Jim Broede

No comments: