Saturday, September 25, 2010

Doing what I feel like doing.

I like doing what i feel like doing. For instance, not having to report for work. Because I'm retired. But I still work, in a sense. In that I have things to do. Daily. I sit down and write, for instance. More writing than when I made my living as a writer. For newspapers. But now I write what I want to write. Primarily my blog. And love letters. That suits me fine. It's no longer work. It's pure and simple pleasure. The way life was meant to be lived. In an ideal world, we'd all be what we want to be. Yes, I know that's impractical. But I have finally found a way to be what I want to be. Mainly, a romantic idealist, a free-thinker, a liberal and a lover. That's my focus. Because I'm able to get by on my pension and my social security. And I own my own home. It gets me by. I can even do some traveling. And court my love. Chances are I don't have a whole lot of years left. I'm 75. But I feel healthy and rambunctious. And I've learned to take life one day at a time. Savoring it all. Appreciating doing what I feel like doing. --Jim Broede

No comments: