Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A blessing from the god of love.

I'm an optimist. But I could just as easily have become a pessimist. If I hadn't found love in my life. That made the difference. Love. Of two women, in particular. But even if that hadn't happened, I still fell in love. With nature. With writing. With life, in general. I pity the poor soul that has never experienced love. I suspect most people have experienced love of one kind or another. Even those who say they haven't. They've just been unaware of it. Might be that they lack an understanding. If one can just appreciate one's surroundings and environs. Or savor being alive and conscious. That should be enough in itself to trigger a feeling of elation. Joy. Yes, a form of love. I think one can create love. From within one's being. By allowing one's self to flow. Naturally. I grant that it's probably best to love another human being. But there are so many other things to love. Words, for instance. A poem. Or a piece of music. So many pleasures. Climbing a mountain. Sailing on the sea. Walking in the woods. To be able to do all this. It's a blessing, isn't it? Maybe from the god of love. --Jim Broede

No comments: