Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Writing about ego-driven people.

I could have changed my reality. My perception of life. If I had decided to become a sportswriter. I almost did. The first time I was offered a job at the daily St. Paul Pioneer Press, it was as a sportswriter. I said, no thank you. Later, I went to work for the Pioneer Press as a beat writer, mostly covering politics and government. I have no regrets about that. But I do reflect on what might have happened if I had chosen sports as my focus. At the time, I thought it was too shallow. But hey, it could have been enjoyable. A nice pastime. Witing about games. And athletes. Those who make a professional career out of it. It's only a game. But that's the nature of life. I suppose politics is a game, too. A dirty game. With potential to be very corrupting. Maybe that's what I liked about politics. The possibility for expose. The opportunity to focus on behind-the-scenes activity. One thing I would have had to deal with, whether it be in sports or politics, was gigantic egos. I suppose that goes for most any pursuit. To get ahead, many people do it to feed their egos. To excel. To have power. Influence. And celebrity. Many of us are ego-driven. Writers included. I find that fascinating. Dealing with egos day in and day out. My own ego. And others. Come to think of it, maybe that was my speciality over the years. Writing about ego-driven people. --Jim Broede

No comments: