Sunday, September 12, 2010

The quest for power at any cost.

I'm not sure that I really care what people think about me. I understand that I'm perceived of in many different ways. Good ways. Bad ways. Some people actually despise me. And I have to admit that sometimes makes me feel good. For instance, if a Republican despised me, I'd wear that as a badge of honor. I don't want to be liked by Republicans. And lots of other people, too. On the other hand, I can tolerate some Republicans. And even like some. But I don't necessarily want them to like me. Because I can be rather caustic. Unpleasant. Snide. Sarcastic. I've said it before. And I'll say it again. I intentionally try to alienate some people. I don't want to be nice to everyone. Especially to people who tend not to be so nice themselves. American politicians, for instance, tend to be downright discourteous and hateful of those on the other side of the aisle. They tell lies and disparage each other. It wasn't always that way. Decades ago, Republicans and Democarts mixed socially. They showed some degree of respect for each other. Now, it's often unrestrained hostility. I sense that we don't pull for each other to succeed any more. Instead, we want each other to fail. Take Republicans, for instance. They'll oppose programs proposed by Barack Obama -- some of the very same programs that Republicans used to support. But they want Obama to fail. Even if that failure isn't good for the nation. Such failure might bring the Republicans back to power. Yes, that's the crux of life. The quest for power at any cost. --Jim Broede

No comments: