Sunday, October 24, 2010

I think she was impressed.

I used to allow little things to annoy me. I wanted everything in my life to go just right. For everything to fall into place. In accord with my wishes, my desires. And if one thing went awry, I felt that my perfect day had ended. And that I was no longer entitled to enjoy the day. But that was many years ago. Since then I've reformed. I allow for blemishes on my day. In fact, I can't remember a day when everything went right. Maybe there never was such a day. So I have learned to accept imperfections. No sense in getting upset. Now I see others with my former affliction. I tell them of my experience. That I'm much happier since I learned acceptance. And that makes me an easier guy to live with. Really, a nicer and more compassionate guy. Easy-going. I marvel at how I handled myself on my most recent vacation this past summer. In Iceland and Germany. With my Italian girlfriend. Indeed, some things went wrong. But I didn't let it faze me for more than a few minutes. Instead, I stayed relatively calm. And found solutions. Fixed things. I think my girlfriend was impressed. If not, she should be. --Jim Broede

No comments: