Friday, October 22, 2010

I use my own talk therapy.

I believe in talk therapy. Especially for people in depression. I have nothing against medication. Anti-depressant drugs. Coupled with talk therapy. Anyway, I'm not totally convinced that depression is due to a chemical imbalance. I'll concede that may be part of the problem. But depression also could be triggered by negative thinking. And so if the patient can be persuaded to think more positively, it could make a difference. At least in some cases, it might counter the depression. I know that if I'm in the doldrums, I can work my way out of it, by focusing on something positive in my life. Maybe depressed people need to be reminded that it ain't all bad. Ony half bad. That the glass is half full. Of course, that also could piss off a depressed being. Some of 'em don't want to be told that they can work their way out of a bad mood. I acknowledge it may not be easy. But not impossible. Maybe I'm in no position to understand depression in a meaningful way. Because I'm assuming I've never been clinically depressed. I'd like to think so. Maybe because I don't let myself be depressed. I simply talk to myself. I use my own talk therapy to steer clear of depression. --Jim Broede

No comments: