Saturday, November 20, 2010

Because I'm busy living.

I know that Alzheimer's is a gawd-awful way to die. And care-givers saddled with watching their loved ones die by the steady loss of mind -- well, it's not the most pleasant thing to watch. But then, it seems to me that dying isn't pleasant. No matter in what form death comes. Whether it be by cancer or stroke or heart attack or on the battlefield in war or by random chance accident or murder. Maybe it's best to die suddenly. So there's no or little suffering. I'm not sure that there's one way that's better or worse than another. I do know one thing though. I'd rather be the survivor than the victim. It's nice to postpone death. So that one can continue to savor life. And that's precisely what I try to do. Even when I was dear Jeanne's care-giver, I learned to savor Jeanne. And life. Having the ability to love with some semblance of unconditional love. And knowing full well that death is inevitable. For everyone. That not only is Alzheimer's always fatal. So is life. But I really don't let that bother me. Because I'm busy living. --Jim Broede

No comments: