Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I expect a meaningful time.

I don't mind being un-American. Now don't take me wrong. I'm pro-American. But when I go to a foreign country, I don't like to act like an American. When I'm in Italy, I want to get a feel for the place. And be able to blend in. To feel sort of like an Italian. To be able to appreciate the unique Italian culture. Which means I have sort of a double standard. Because I wouldn't expect the same of an Italian coming to the USA. I'd encourage the Italian to act like an Italian. Out of a sign of respect for the Italian culture. Because I like to practice tolerance. Also, I want to attain a better understanding of Italians. And I want the Italian to feel comfortable and at ease in my country. By just being himself/herself. Without any pressure to do things the American way. If an Italian acts like an Italian, it's an opportunity for me to learn more about Italians. And Italian ways. Granted, we are all human beings. But we are different in terms of cultures and ethnicity. And I am generally intrigued by and appreciative of the differences. An Italian visitor to America may not have the same objectives that I have when I travel. He/she may just be interested in sightseeing. But I'm more absorbed in getting a real feel for place and the people and the culture. Sightseeing is secondary. When I'm in Italy this winter, I'll write about my impressions. It'll be interesting to see how I handle it. And what I get from it. I expect the Italian experience to be enlightening and meaningful. --Jim Broede

No comments: