Monday, November 15, 2010

The most wonderful blessing.

Seems to me that life is an experiment. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained. I take calculated risks. A little bit like an explorer, I suppose. I feel my way. Generally, I try to satisfy my curiosity. The adage that curiosity killed the cat doesn't bother me. Because I'm not a cat. Albeit, I like cats. I don't avoid trouble or difficulty. I accept challenges. And adventure. I do things. Sometimes, I dive right in. Like I did when my Jeanne was diagnosed with Alzheimer's back in the early 1990s. And became a genuine care-giver. Eventually without fear and trembling. But out of love. Or when I decided to marry Jeanne in 1969, and take on the responsibility of a ready-made family. Or when I joined the U.S. Army in 1957. Or when as a young man I went south in 1962 and joined the civil rights movement. Or now, as a relatively old man, deciding to start spending my winters with my true love in Italy. Yes, I dare to fall in love. A second time. Not only that, I dare to live. Fully. And to think of life as the most wonderful blessing of all. --Jim Broede

No comments: