Monday, December 6, 2010

A curse turned into a blessing.

Being an Alzheimer care-giver for 13 years was a learning experience. For me. Taught me how to not only deal with someone afflicted with Alzheimer's. But also how to deal with other care-givers. And with people generally. In essence, you enter their world. You even agree with them when they are obviously wrong. To simmer 'em down. I looked around at the people around me. The general population. And I saw a fair number of angry people. With and without Alzheimer's. So-called normal people that were angry. Or lived in a world in which they almost always thought they were right. When they were obviously wrong. But these people were intolerant. They thought there was only one right way. To deal with a problem or an issue. When in reality, there usually are multiple ways. Conventional and unconventional ways. Not only with Alzheimer's. But with all sorts of every-day matters. Used to be that I intentionally alienated people that disagree with me. But now I find ways to let 'em have their say. To listen to 'em. To even agree. For the sake of agreeing. Rather than disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. In a sense, I'm practicing my good vibes therapy not only on Alzheimer patients, but on regular people I encounter in every day life. And it works. I admit that I might be wrong. And that maybe they are right, Because often there's no sense in having a confrontation. I'm learning to reach people in different ways. In less antagonistic ways. I practice my new-found approach daily. On the Alzheimer message boards. And anywhere else I may be in the world. In a sense, I've set my ego aside. By admitting I could be wrong. But many find that hard to do. Because they don't listen. They don't accept the idea that there can be honest disagreement. Without being hostile. Yes, sometimes life works in strange and mysterious ways. The Alzheimer's experience, for instance. I once thought it was a curse. And now I think of it as a blessing. --Jim Broede

No comments: