Friday, December 24, 2010

For now, I want forever.

My true love is sick today. Some sort of indisposition. Sounds better than illness. How do I console her? Comfort her? I tell her, give it time. Think ahead. Tell yourself that at this time tomorrow, you’ll feel good again. Of course, I’m all for living in the moment. Savoring today. But it’s difficult for my true love to savor anything today. One doesn’t savor an illness. Or even an indisposition. She’s got a headache. Nausea, too. I tell her I know how that feels. When I had the flu once. I had a headache. Nausea. Body aches, too. And a fever. Thought I’d die. No, that’s really an exaggeration. But I started thinking about getting well again. I envisioned one week hence. And all the misery would be behind me. I tried to live in the future. But most times I don’t do that. I’m too happy living today to want the moment to expire. I want to feel good all the time. When my true love is sick, it reminds me that I am thankful. To be an alive and conscious being. And in good health. If I weren’t in good health, maybe I’d want to die. But really, I don’t think I’ve ever been sick enough to want to die. I’d have to be gawd-awful sick for that. For now, I want forever. –Jim Broede

No comments: