Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The gospel of pure hogwash.

I’d make a good preacher. Because I like to preach. Not in the customary religious sense. Because I have my own gospel. I don’t borrow from any book. I create my own thought. And I sort of preach it, one might say. Because I’m often accused in a negative way of preaching. So be it. I can’t help it. I’m coming to believe that I am a natural born preacher. I have created my own pulpit. Right here in this blog. I say I am brooding. Because I like that term better than ‘preaching.’ Sounds better than Broede’s Preachings. That probably would turn off some people. But they tend to be curious about Broede’s Broodings. As far as I know, there’s no other blog that goes by broodings. Maybe it’s an original. With me. I wrote a newspaper column in the 1960s called Broede’s Broodings. It touched on controversial topics and satire and was well-read in the local weekly newspaper. But then I went on to write for a daily newspaper, and broodings went away. In favor of straight news and feature stories. Now that I’m retired, I still write. Virtually every day. And much of my writing might be called preaching. Yes, preaching the gospel of love. I’m addicted to love and to writing. And so I have combined the two pursuits. And that makes me sound like a preacher. Because many preachers tell us that god is the god of love. Of course, I preach that organized religion seems to profess love. But often doesn’t practice love. Instead, their gospel tends more toward hate. Because they say truth and salvation can be attained only one way. On their exclusive path. And I preach that such a gospel is pure hogwash. –Jim Broede

No comments: