Monday, January 24, 2011

I'll lament instead of preach.

I know people who like to lament. Lament about almost anything. But they mostly lament about what has gone wrong in their lives. Little things. Trivial things. Occasionally, a big thing. But mostly it's small stuff. The things I'd normally ignore. And I tell 'em that. And they accuse me of sounding like a preacher. That what they need is sympathy. A good listener. And that if I quit preaching, they'd get over their lamenting. Maybe in 15 minutes. They tell me that by preaching for them to quit lamenting, that I'm merely adding fuel to the fire. Giving them all the more reason to lament and lament and lament. Endlessly. So I've taken to lamenting over their lamenting. That from now on I'll try my best to promote lamenting. And that means we need more preachers. So let's just change our roles. Preachers, it's time to become lamenters. And lamenters, you can become preachers. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Billi Pod said...

I ran across your blog and found it to be most interesting. I am also a happy retiree, aged 76, living out a lifelong dream in New York City.

My blog is: https://www.wanorrisjr.blogspot.com

Bill