Wednesday, January 12, 2011

To make sure it wasn't a dream.

A bastion is a tower or fortress and that’s exactly what hovers over Cagliari. Sardinia’s capital city. Apparently, the massive fortress of St. Remy dates to the 17th century. But it seems to have weathered time quite well. Looks well-maintained. Durable. Almost new. Maybe that’s because St. Remy was heavily damaged by bombs in World War II. And the place was faithfully restored. It’s downright impressive. I climbed to the top two nights ago. And it’s a good thing that I’m in good physical shape. Seemed like there were 1,000 steps to take up the marble stair wells. And I would have gladly climbed 2,000. For the spectacular panoramic nighttime view of Cagliari. Anyway, I was with my true love. We wandered St. Remy from stem to stern. From top to bottom. And we’ve vowed to return. Maybe tomorrow afternoon. So we can catch the view. In full daylight. To make sure it wasn’t just a dream. –Jim Broede

No comments: