Sunday, February 13, 2011

All Italian bread is good.

The lady must have been in her 80s. Maybe 90. Walking quite sprightly down the main street of Carbonia in Sardinia. And I was about to walk past her. When she turned and said something in Italian. Sounded as if she was telling me it's such a beautiful day. But I confessed in Italian that I don't speak Italian. And that I'm an American. She seemed thrilled about that. Gave me a happy greeting. And then talked to me some more. In Italian. And I nodded by head. As if in agreement to whatever she was saying. I kept repeating si, si, si. The Italian word for 'yes.' But I suspected I knew some of what she was saying. Because she used the word 'pane' several times. The Italian for bread. She probably was telling me where I could buy some good bread. But really, that's no problem. All Italian bread is good. --Jim Broede

No comments: