Friday, February 11, 2011

Better to savor the good things.

Events will play out in Egypt and the way they play out I have no illusions about. Won’t necessarily be the right and just way. Because that isn’t the way of the world. In the end, there’ll be minority rule. By whatever faction or individuals that wield the most power. Quite possibly the most ruthless of people. That’s why dictators succeed. At least for a while. Until a more powerful element arises. We even have dictators/power elites running America. Yes, the grand old USA. Really, a faction of powerful and ruthless capitalists. Mostly, well-heeled people. They buy their way to power. At least that’s the way I see it. People tell me that I am wrong. That we have one of the best democracies/republics in the world. But it’s really an oligarchy. The rich. The elite. The anointed ones. They make us think that the masses, the common people actually run the show. But that’s bull shit. We are fooled into thinking we pick our leaders. We really are given few choices. Usually, candidates that are either bad or worse than bad. Take your pick. We are brain-washed. With inane sound bites. Hey, it’s all a charade. An exercise in futility. That is, if we even understand what’s happening. Most times we don’t. I long ago ceased being annoyed by the political, economic and social systems. I accept ‘em. Knowing that I can’t do much, if anything, to change the systems. I’m stuck. The systems are what they are. There’ll be few changes. Only negligible change in my lifetime. And maybe for the worse. Meanwhile, though, I’ll get on with the rest of my life. The good part. The living and loving part. In Minnesota and the USA about half of the time. And in Sardinia the other half. That’s my real life. My meaningful life. I’m pretty much able to ignore the rest of the crap. Yes, it’s better to savor the good things. Love. Joy. Contentment. Tranquility. Serenity. Friends. Nature. –Jim Broede

No comments: