Saturday, February 26, 2011

Caps with fur earflaps.

I thought it was a pleasant day. Maybe a little windy. But the sun was shining. In full brilliance. Felt spring-like to me. Here in the city of Carbonia. In Sardinia. But the guide we had at the Phoenician ruins was all bundled up. In a winter coat. But what made me laugh was her cap. With furry earflaps. The kind one might wear in the middle of a wild winter blizzard in Minnesota. I guess she wanted to stay extra warm. I was wearing an open jacket. And had a bare head. And was quite comfortable. Maybe a sign that I have been toughened from the experience of living in Minnesota for 45 years. The guide spoke in Italian. But my bi-lingual true love was with me. To interpret. And I learned a lot about Phoenicians. But I was left wondering about how they dressed 2,600 years ago. In Sardinia. In February. Whether they wore caps with fur earflaps. --Jim Broede

No comments: