Sunday, February 27, 2011

I kick them in the ass.

My biggest pet peeve is being hurried. I want to take my good-natured time. If I'm given a 10-minute notice to be ready to go out, I find that totally unacceptable. Instead, I'll be ready when I'm ready. And not a minute sooner. If it takes an hour, so be it. I've spent too much of my life meeting unreasonable deadlines. Hurry. Hurry. Hurry. And now that I'm old and retired, I won't have hurrrying in my life any more. It's far too stressful. Things will get done when they get done. If I find myself in even a little bit of a hurry-up mode, I purposely shut down. I don't tolerate it. As a youngster, I was taught to do things lickity-split. To not waste time. And it was the same at work. Writing for newspapers. One had to think fast. And write fast. I'm now thinking more than ever. And writing more than ever. But I do it slowly. At my own comfortable pace. And if somebody tries to hurry me, I kick them in the ass. Figuratively. --Jim Broede

No comments: