Monday, February 28, 2011

It's a rather nice place to be.

My gawd, people were living on the island of Sardinia in the Mediterranean Sea 6,000 years ago. And around the city of Carbonia, where I'm spending the winter, archeologists are digging up relics of these ancient civilizations. Digs are going on in full earnest. And I've seen some of the stuff being unearthed. Pottery thousands of years old. And bones of people who lived thousands of years ago. But there are few bones of the ancient Phoenicians who lived on the island in 600 B.C. The Phoenicians worshipped multiple gods. And practiced cremation. So there's not much left of Phoenician bones. Phoenicians were reduced to ashes, and put in urns. And if you were a youngster who died before you could be integrated into the community, your remains ended up in a big communal urn. Carbonia has turned the archeological excavation of the Phoenicians into a park. Open to the public since 1960. My true love and I had a tour of the ruins on Sunday. And our guide was a woman named Cinzia. It was enlightening. And I began to wonder if my true love may have had ancestors entombed in the Phoenician necropolis. The tombs were built into the rock, and we walked in. An errie feeling. Interesting. That Phoenicians apparently didn't want their ashes scattered about. But placed in tombs that are now seeing the light of day. For the first time in 2,500 years. I'm assuming that the spirits of the Phoenicians have moved on to other locales. Although I wouldn't mind sticking around Sardinia for eternity. It's a rather nice place to be. --Jim Broede

No comments: