Saturday, February 26, 2011

So that we'd become acquainted.

I met an Italian lady on the street this afternoon. Walking toward me. On a narrow sidewalk. With shopping bags in each hand. So as she approached, I took to the street. And made a motion for her to proceed. To take the full sidewalk. And she said something to me. In Italian. And it sounded nice. I assume she was thanking me. For being courteous. I told her I didn't speak Italian. And asked if she spoke English. No, she didn't. But she kept talking. In Italian. I listened attentively. Without understanding more than a word or two. But she sounded so very pleasant. She looked middle-aged. Maybe about 60. Finally I told her in Italian that I was a stupid American. Because I don't speak much Italian. She became more amiable. And eventually put her shopping bags in one hnad. So she could extend the other. For a handshake. And she said arrivederci. And so did I. And as I walked away, I wished I spoke fluent Italian. I would have engaged her in extended conversation. So that we'd become really acquainted. --Jim Broede

No comments: