Sunday, February 13, 2011

Daredevils, stupid, or in a hurry.

I get a little nervous when I drive the very winding mountain roads in Sardinia. I've driven in the Rocky Mountains. And it ain't always easy. But in Sardinia, the curves are sharper and steeper. As though I'm turning right and then left an instant later. Always turning. And when I'm coming down from the top of a mountain pass, I have to shift into low gears. To slow my speed without constantly putting my foot on the brakes. And there are times when it's best to not be driving. When staring into the setting sun. Or at nighttime. Or in a rain storm. Or into a fog. To really enjoy the scenery, I have to stop frequently. So I can look around. Because when I'm driving, I need to keep my eyes focused on the winding road. Seldom will you see me passing other vehicles in the mountains. But a fair number pass me. Even on the curves. Some Italians are daredevils. Or they are just plain stupid. And in a hurry. --Jim Broede

No comments: