Thursday, February 24, 2011

I want fewer desperate people.

My true love thinks its unsafe for me to go walking the streets at night. Almost anywhere in Italy. Even in her town of 30,000 inhabitants in Sardinia. But I haven't seen anything that would make me fearful. However, my true love believes in playing it safe. For example, she won't leave her car parked overnight outside her mechanic's shop. Because it's in a secluded area. And she imagines some nasty guy coming by and setting fire to her beloved 1986 Fiat. Just for kicks. Because she's read that such has happened. Elsewhere in Italy. And she locks the entry door to the house with a fancy lock. That locks not once, but four times. Takes four clicks. Four turns of the key. That makes it more difficult for anyone to break in. And she leaves the key in the door at night. Inside. Which blocks against anyone inserting a key from outside. Even when she's home, she keeps the door locked. My true love doesn't exactly trust people. Especially destitute people. Italy has hordes of unemployed. Some people that more or less live hand to mouth. Desperate people, my true love says. I guess that tells me something about the social system. It's lacking. Maybe even more so than in the U.S. Albeit, Italian families tend to take care of their own. That's nice. But still, I'd like to see more effort in Italy, and worldwide. To provide better social services. To make for fewer desperate people. --Jim Broede

No comments: