Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Doing as I darn well please.

More and more, I’m living as I darn well please. I know this won’t last forever. That’s the nature of the good life. The important thing is to enjoy and savor life. To take advantage of the opportunities. While they exist. Which means moment to moment. Day to day. Week to week. Whatever. And don’t get ahead of one’s self. Such as imagining bad times ahead. I see so many people failing to enjoy good moments. Because of fear that it won’t last. In other words, leaping ahead to an imagined glum future. To their own demise. They use ‘demise.’ Because ‘death’ scares ‘em. Anyway, even in so-called ‘bad’ times, I had ‘good’ moments. Pleasant breaks. Peaceful interludes. Largely because I learned acceptance. For instance, I accepted beloved Jeanne’s Alzheimer’s. Because I didn’t have much choice. So we tried to make the best of it. Together. And now I’ve learned to cherish the fond memories. Better that than lamenting. As for today, I had my heart set on biking 30 miles. But we had a foot of snow overnight. That kills my plan. But I’ve been out shoveling snow. The entire driveway. Wow! Quite a workout. More than if I had been biking. Now I’ve decided that shoveling snow is more enjoyable than biking. It’s exactly what I want to do. Once again, means I’m doing as I darn well please. –Jim Broede

No comments: